Tuesday, March 16, 2010

rearranging & juxtaposition

Ok, Barbara -those two words of yours in the comment on yesterday's post hit the nail on the head.  It's all about that.
This is true whether we're working on something new or something we have done that we're not happy with - or given up on in the middle. I would call it editing -- and we do it with our writing, so why not with our visuals?

I really didn't think it was worth my time to redo the whole quilt but I did take one block and slice it randomly last night. I added a strip or two and then tonight, took a couple of the other parts of the block, combined them with some leftovers from my treasure box and in a few minutes, without planning, voilà:
From this..(well, a different block but same batch)  
to this...
Hmmm..it has possibilities.  Anybody want one of these blocks to play with?  See what you can do to deconstruct and improve it?  Let me know; I have a whole quilt top full of them. How can you resist?  We'll post 'em all here.


10 comments:

Gerrie said...

The result is very architectural! I also see an abstract landscape.

janice said...

I just love how you work and the results. I can't wait to take your class at Fabrications. I have lots of ugly fabric.

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Sure, Rayna, I'll play along Only restriction is that I have to use the block somehow?

Unknown said...

I've never worked with blocks, not sure how I would do but if you want to risk one of them on a total block newb, I'm game.

I'm finding it fascinating, though, and well worth the experimentation, that you're able to take otherwise plain-jane blocks and make them into something so different and unusual. Very inspiring.

Cate Rose said...

Very interesting re-do, Rayna!

Fibra Artysta said...

I'll take that challenge! :)

Barbara said...

You obviously took those words to heart! Well done.

I'll volunteer to play with some pieces. I just need to know what the "ground rules" are!

I'll e-mail you my address.

Judy said...

I see pyramids. Please don't be offended if I pass on this offer....if you saw my sewing room, you would understand!

xo

Jennifer Beaven said...

Rayna,

I'd love to alter a block. I'll e-mail my address. Thanks!

Del said...

I'll play! I may be too late and all the blocks have already been taken. Boo Hoo. You have my address, I believe. Love, Del

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...