Friday, March 26, 2010

ode to a mango

As long as I was on the subject of kitchen tools, I got out the beautiful mango cutter that Jane Aldoretta gave me when I was teaching at her studio last year and sliced a mango I bought the other day.  When I saw this item in her kitchen, I asked what it was because I had never seen one here. So she gave it to me - and then, of course, I had to buy mangoes every so often.
  I have never been a fan of mangoes; they are normally too sweet.  But they are a good addition to black bean salad. And I had a delicious salad the other night that included mangoes, tortilla strips, and goat cheese with the greens   So I had to buy one.  This was the best mango I have ever had: it was tart instead of cloyingly sweet.  Googling the mark on the label, I discovered it was imported not from Mexico or Chile or India, but from Israel. What symmetry! What color!  I couldn't resist the photo. 
Back to my wall...

10 comments:

Sherryl said...

I love mangoes.. they are a pain in the ass to cut. I have never seen this tool... I want one!!!

Bonnie said...

Saw one of those gadgets in a home we looked at a couple of weeks ago and I thought it frivolous. Now I know I want one.

Judy Rys said...

I've never seen that tool either. I've got a yummy recipe for Mango salsa that I serve with fish. Let me know if you want it.

Cate Rose said...

I eat 'em the primitive way -- peel, and stand over a sink while gorging myself!

Judy said...

That is a great picture Rayna! When we lived in Miami, I did as Connie: eating those suckers over the sink with that sticky juice running all over my face and down my arms! YUMMMM!

xo

Mary Beth said...

love the mango cutter photo - yummy colors! But just had to say that being able to translate your page into Finnish - best thing EVah! gonna email before and after screenshots to a friend who shares an interest in all things finish with me. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of mangoes but my late sister-in-law used to cut them in half leaving the peel on, score them from the flesh side in a grid pattern, then turn each half "inside out'' by pushing on the peel from the outside. The mango squares can then be easily sliced off. Oh how I wish she was still with us so we could make a youtube video...

Barbara said...

I must look for one of these for my husband, who adores mangoes and hates to peel and slice them. I've recently gotten great mangoes from Peru at Costco, but never seen mangoes from Israel!

Anonymous said...

Does that tool cut through the seed? If it does, I gotta have me one of them. I love mangoes...

Eva said...

I have never eaten a whole mango without a preceding massacre. Good to know that a helper exists.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...